Eco on the Go: 10 Ways to Prepare Your Low-Waste Lifestyle For on the Go
We live in a busy world full of people who are constantly “on the go.” Unfortunately, this means that the “I’m too busy” excuse for leading a zero-waste lifestyle gets brought up a lot. How can you be zero-waste while eating out, grocery shopping, or making unexpected trips?
Trust me, it’s possible and it’s easier than you might think.
It all comes down to preparedness and planning. A busy life doesn’t have to be a disorganized one and it certainly doesn’t have to include an abundance of waste! Love Your Mother Boutique (LYMB) offers a wide variety of advice and resources that will help you to keep your daily buzz eco-friendly. LYMB’s On The Go collection helps you establish your eco-forward habits that include these 10 ways to prepare your low-waste lifestyle for on the go.
10 simple ways to go low-waste on the go
1. If you choose to eat out, pick your place wisely.Call ahead and do your research to see if a restaurant will accommodate your zero-waste requests. Ask what they use for take out packaging? Do they provide plastic take out containers for leftovers, or do they at least use cardboard packaging for to go boxes. Find out their values and low-waste practices.
2. Tell the server if you are eating-in.
3. Take-out in your own containers.
4. “No straw please!”
5. Minimize eating take-out.
6. Grocery shop at a location that aligns with your eco-initiatives.Find somewhere that offers local produce, fresh bread, and dry bulk food. Supporting our local farmers helps to invest money back into local communities and not towards big corporations.
7. Buy bulk, package-free items & pack food with reusable materials.
8. Use Reusable bags!Use upcycled market bags, produce bags, bread bags for all they’re worth. These items are invaluable and super versatile! Keep them in your tote bag, backpack or the trunk of your vehicle, so you can use reusable bags on the go.
9. Expect the unexpected.
10. Use what you have - you don’t need to buy new!
The next time you feel too stifled by your day-to-day rush, take a peek at this quick and simple list to remind yourself how easy it can be to live a zero-waste lifestyle. You don’t have to make all of these changes to have an impact. You can take it one step at a time.
Remember, “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero-waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly.” (Anne-Marie Bonneau)